- An Important Notice
- When will be welcoming families back?
- What steps are we taking to reopen safely?
- General Program Guidelines
- Health & Safety Guidelines
- Protocols for Parent & Tot Playgroups
An Important Notice
Due to the new Public Health Orders which came into effect on November 20, all in person group programming at Saanich Neighbourhood Place has been suspended. In person programming will resume when it is deemed safe to do so, based upon Public Health information and WorkSafe BC guidelines. Some programs will move back to an online format, and all of our regular online programs will continue as scheduled. Please check our website and social media for our most updated program offerings. Family Support staff will continue to be available to meet with program participants via phone, email, video or direct messaging. Limited in person appointments, utilizing social distancing and mask wearing, will be offered at our Tillicum and Royal Oak locations, as space is available. Thank you – keep safe and we look forward to connecting with you all again soon.
When will we be welcoming families back?
SNP in Tillicum (inside Pearkes) is now open by appointment only, as of July 12, 2020, in line with Saanich Parks & Recreation restart plans. Families who wish to connect with us can call the office at 250-360-1148 or email to email@example.com to request an appointment. All programs offered will be by invitation or registration only.
SNP in Royal Oak (Royal Oak Neighbourhood House) will remain closed until September 2020.
SNP in Gordon Head (at St. Aidan’s) will remain closed until September 2020.
Best Babies: Program resumes July 21, 2020 – The group will be divided into prenatal and postpartum sessions, with a limited group size. Sessions will be one hour in length, and include a freshly prepared box lunch. Registered participants will be contacted by the Program Facilitator with details.
Community Kitchen: TBD August 2020 – Participants will be invited to attend kitchen sessions in small groups. Participants will be required to wear a mask when attending and childminding will not be available. More information including program length will be available soon.
Full o’Beans Preschool: September 2020 – Parents of registered children will be invited to attend information sessions in August 2020. Preschool programs are expected to begin, with modifications, after the Labour Day weekend.
Drop-In Programs, by location: TBD – Online programming may continue to be offered for some programs, visit our Calendar for details. When ‘in-person’ programs resume, participation will be by invitation or registration only.
What steps are we taking to reopen safely?
Over the past several weeks, Saanich Neighbourhood Place has been monitoring the current public health situation and adapting services and programs to maintain some level of assistance to our families. As we look forward to ‘in-person’ meetings once again, we have taken direction from the Province, the Medical Health Office, Worksafe BC, the Community Care and Assisted Living Act and the Municipality to inform decisions and protocols in our spaces.
In order to maintain the health and wellness of our staff, families and visitors to our programs, we have made some significant changes, which will be in effect until further notice.
Without exception, staff and visitors will be asked to avoid attending if any of the following apply:
- New or worsening cough
- Shortness of breath
- New muscle aches or headache
- Sore throat
- Have travelled outside of Canada within the last 14 days
- Are a close contact of a person who tested positive for COVID-19
While we will not be conducting any health checks, we ask that everyone is vigilant in monitoring their own wellness and act accordingly.
General Program Guidelines
In order to ensure our staff, volunteers and participants enjoy a safe return to programs at Saanich Neighhourhood Place, please read the following information and suggested guidelines.
- During this phase, limited in-person programming will be available, and by registration only. Group sizes may be reduced to facilitate appropriate physical distancing.
- Program times may be reduced, to allow for more time between sessions to accommodate enhanced cleaning protocols.
- Programs will be limited to direct participants only. We can not accommodate extended family members or friends at this time.
- No childminding services are available at this time.
- Program spaces have a posted occupancy capacity. Staff will monitor participant numbers to ensure capacity is not exceeded.
- All participants will be directed to enter the facility through the main front doors of Pearkes Recreation Centre and proceed directly to the entry area for SNP to sign in. Contact information and a participation waiver will be required to proceed to programs.
- Hand sanitizer will be available for participants. Masks are not required, unless preparing or serving food, or physical distancing can not be maintained.
- We will not be doing health screening, but strongly encourage those who feel unwell or exhibit any signs of illness to avoid attending programs. Staff may deny participation if signs of illness are apparent.
- Any visitor who has had close personal contact with someone with Covid-19 will be asked to isolate themselves for a minimum of 14 days before returning to programs, provided they develop no symptoms.
- Any visitor who tests positive for the virus or who chooses to travel out of the country will be asked to avoid attending programs on site for a minimum of 14 days, and return only provided no symptoms are present.
- Washroom facilities for those visiting SNP Pearkes include the ‘change table’ washroom in the hallway and the washroom connected to the Bell Irving (playroom). The kitchen washroom will remain ‘staff only’. The second hallway washroom is reserved for the use of KidsKlub while they are onsite.
*Hallway facilities are cleaned several times a day by Saanich maintenance staff. SNP washrooms will be cleaned by SNP staff before and after their programs, and overnight by Saanich staff.
Thank you for your continued cooperation as we all work together to weather the current situation.
Health & Safety Guidelines
As we prepare to welcome people back to work and programs, we all need to take steps to ensure the health and well-being of our colleagues and participants at Saanich Neighhourhood Place. To accommodate this please read and follow these guidelines as requested.
- All ‘in-person’ programs will be ‘registration only’. There will be no drop-in programming offered.
- Everyone entering an SNP site will be asked to:
- sign in at a designated spot with basic contact information.
- Use the available hand sanitizer or immediately wash your hands.
- Enter only at the designated entry, and leave by the specified route. At Pearkes, this is in the main doors, out the door at the end of our hallway.
- Stay away from the center if they feel unwell, have a fever, cough, or other symptoms of flu-like or respiratory illnesses.
- Follow directions to the program room they will be attending, avoid wandering into other spaces.
- Participants and others are not to enter program rooms, the kitchen or offices without express invitation from a staff member.
- Staff members will be required to perform additional cleaning in program spaces before and after their programs. This will include the sanitizing of high touch points, equipment and adjacent washroom facilities.
- Masks will be provided if needed, and are mandatory in the preparation and service of food.
- Gloves are not required, but will be available for protection when cleaning surfaces and high touch points. Appropriate handwashing must be performed upon entering the facility, before and after food preparation and after use of washroom facilities.
- Appropriate cleaning supplies will be provided by SNP. As per provincial guidelines, we will use liquid solutions and approved wipes to manage hard surface cleaning.
- Soft surfaces or equipment will be removed from program spaces whenever possible. If not possible (some play equipment), designated bins will be created for specific programs. Bins will then be isolated and out of use until the following session, provided the session repeats a minimum of one week following the prior session.
Thank you for your cooperation in maintaining the health and wellness of everyone who participates in SNP programs.
Protocols for Parent & Tot Playgroups
We are very happy to welcome you back to our Parent & Tot Playgroups! In order to follow all of the recommended Covid 19 guidelines there will be some changes to the way we are running the groups. We will have two separate groups on Tuesdays in the Fieldhouse Gym, one from 9:00-10:15 and one from 10:45-12:00.
You will need to register for each session by clicking here. The information that you provide is confidential and can only be seen by the organizer of the group. There is a maximum of 10 adults and 20 children per group. We ask that you please sign up for only one group a week so that we can welcome back as many families as possible in a safe way.
Health Screening and Travel outside of Canada:
If you or your children have any symptoms of illness (fever, chills, new or worsening cough, shortness of breath, new muscle aches or headache, sore throat) or if you have travelled outside of Canada within the last 14 days, please stay home and delete your appointment online.
When you arrive:
The entrance for the Playgroup is to the right of the main entrance, near the blue fence. There will be signs directing you and someone to welcome you into the gym.
Hand sanitizer and masks will be available at the sign in station. Masks are not mandatory at this time. We ask that adults respect physical distancing when possible.
Our Sanitizing Routine:
All large play equipment and surfaces (tables, chairs) will be wiped down with sanitizing spray before and after each group.
All smaller toys, books, puzzles and other play materials will be placed in a separate bin for each group and will be stored unopened for a minimum of 7 days.
We ask that you please do not bring food or drinks. Unfortunately, we cannot offer tea or coffee to adults at this time.
Thank you for your understanding.
We look forward to welcoming you back!